Mini-Park - Stamford

Location: University of Connecticut, Stamford Campus

Materials: Granite, copper, landscape materials, algonquin and binary texts

Size: 300' x 100' Park area, 6'H x 26'L copper screen

Concept:  

During the 17th and 18th Centuries the State of Connecticut was "purchased" from its Native American inhabitants.  The piece of land on which this park sits was called Rippowam (cliff of rocks) in the Algonquin language.  The absurdly small amount of cash and/or curious objects traded for these lands are listed in sandblasted strips of text on the polished granite slabs which form part of this "mini park".

The difficulties the Indians had with the colonial interlopers is elegantly stated in an Algonquin document called the Mashpee Petition 1751.  This text with its binary conversion and  its English translation is the content of the serpentine copper screen adjacent to the park.

The Stamford Campus of the University of Connecticut is regarded as the High Technology Campus of the University system.

Additional information is available here.

 

Stamford mini-park - image courtesy of Francoise Yohalem  Stamford mini-park - image courtesy of Francoise Yohalem

Stamford mini-park - image courtesy of Francoise Yohalem    Stamford mini-park - image courtesy of Francoise Yohalem   

  

          

Return to Jim Sanborn webpage